Has the weather where you are been as gorgeous as the weather where I am? That would be hard to answer if you are unfamiliar with the magnitude of gorgeousness where I am, so let me just tell you, it has been beautiful here!! I live in the part of the South where we usually go straight from winter to crispy-fried, sticky, tropical summer. But this year we’re having a real spring with gentle breezes and birds chirping in the trees, and temperatures in the 70s. I’ve been driving around with the windows down and yesterday I stopped myself right before I stuck my head completely out of the window to let my ears flop in the breeze like a basset hound on a Sunday drive.
The kids have standardized testing this week which means they don’t have homework so we’ve spent every afternoon outside soaking up the sunshiney bliss of this weather. I didn’t realize my moods were as weather-dependent as they apparently are, but I’ve found it hard to be in a bad mood when it’s as beautiful as it has been.
That’s why I decided today would be a great day to play The Glad Game that my friend Gretchen likes to play.
1. Dave Barnes’s new CD, aka Whimzie’s Spring Sounddtrack.
You’re familiar with Dave Barnes, right? If you aren’t, you’re missing out on some delicious ear candy. His voice is like smoked honey. I’ve never met a Dave Barnes song that I didn’t like. I think my favorite one on his new CD is “Little Lies.” If you go to his website using the link I gave you in the first sentence of this paragraph, you can hear it for yourself. Warning: This song is an ear worm. I’ve been “La-La-La-La-La-La-La-La-These-Little-Lying” for a solid week now. You can buy the CD at his website or it’s available on iTunes. Check out his older CDs, too.
2. Remember when I told you about Jon Acuff’s book, Stuff Christians Like?
Well, this month you can download the audiobook for free at christianaudio.com. I always prefer owning an actual book to having someone read aloud to me but I downloaded it because the book is read by Jon and I wondered if he really sounded like he does in my head. Do you do that? Imagine an author’s voice as you read? Well, I do, and I was surprised at how much he sounded like the voice I’d imagined for him.
3. In the same online store, you can download Randy Alcorn’s book The Treasure Principle for free when you add it to your cart here and then use the coupon code TREPRIN10 at checkout. This offer is only good until April 16th. I found this offer at http://www.moneysavingmom.com, a great site to find coupons and special deals…like the one I just shared with you!
4. This one is not something you can share with me, but I’m very glad that I get to go on a girls’ trip with my mom. We’re leaving tomorrow and we’re flying away for the weekend. I love to fly. I don’t get to travel by plane very often. I try to act bored so people won’t know just how excited I am about the Coke and Biscoff cookies. And the chance to read a book uninterrupted without feeling guilty that I’m not changing the sheets or cleaning the bathroom. I’ll tell you more about my trip when I get back.
5. I’m glad the girls had pedicures yesterday. My daughter, my mom, and I splurged on some toe treatment yesterday. I didn’t have my first pedicure until about 4 or 5 years ago and I’ve only had two since then so this isn’t a regular occurrence for me. But since it’s open-toed shoe season and Mom and I are headed off for our girls’ weekend, we decided to treat ourselves yesterday and let my daughter get in on the fun, too. As I told the Tweeps yesterday, “Train up a child in the way she should go…” An unexpected benefit and probably more than you want to know, but I think I lost 3 pounds in the process when they scraped all the dead, winter skin off the bottoms of my feet! I had a cute picture of all three of us showing off our fancy toes, but my computer ate it.
I have lots to do to get ready for my big adventure so I need to go. I hope you have a long list of things to be glad about today! Thanks, Gretchen, for reminding me to consciously focus on all the blessings of every day!